This book is a treatment manual providing guidance for therapists treating clients with gambling addictions.
In this book the authors use a cognitive behavioural approach and provide a session by session guide for overcoming problem gambling. Essential topics covered include:
- assessment and psychoeducation
- cognitive behavioural strategies to stabilize gambling
- identifying and challenging thinking errors
- relaxation and imaginal exposure
- problem solving and goal setting
- managing negative emotions
- relapse prevention: maintaining a balanced lifestyle and coping with high risk situations
A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Program for Problem Gambling supplies detailed information to help the therapist and client understand gambling behaviours, as well as practical advice on techniques that can be used with the client to change these behaviours.
This practical guide includes handouts and exercises that can be downloaded by purchasers of the print edition. It will provide helpful guidance for addiction counsellors and therapists worldwide.